Why ban these books?
Hi!
Today's blog has to do with Wednesday's discussion about book banning. I want you to visit http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm and choose one of the 100 most frequently challenged or banned books of 1990-2000 to research. What led to the controversy over the book? How was the controversy resolved, if it has been? Answer these questions (and any of your own) in a nice, well-written paragraph that will inform us all.
Be sure, of course, that you do not choose a book someone else has already chosen. If you notice a specific pattern appearing in the books students choose to discuss here, then choose a book banned for a different reason. We all want to learn about this!
In addition, what books were you surprised to find on the ALA's lists, and why?
Learn something new today!
Love,
Mrs. D
10 Comments:
I did mine on my favorite subject... chocolate! It's called “The Chocolate War” by Robert Cormier. It was challenged mostly because of sexual content and offensive language.
I chose "Julie of the Wolves" because I read that book a long time ago and I couldn't remember anything wrong with it. It has been banned several times because the main character almost gets raped (I guess I had forgotten that part . . .)
I confess I had a very difficult time choosing which book to research, since several very good ones are on this list. I chose "Flowers For Algernon" by Daniel Keyes, which is definitely on my list of favorite books of all time.
"In January 1970, the school board of Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada, as well as Calgary, Alberta, Canada, banned the novel-length expansion of Flowers for Algernon from the local grade-nine curriculum and the school library, after a parent complained that it was "filthy and immoral"." (from Wikipedia, of course)
After reading the book, I can definitely see the cause of her accusations. The books contains language, passages depicting child abuse and a significant amount of premarital sex. That said, it is still a mind blowing book that I recommend you read.
I researched on the banning of "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson. Supposedly, this book was banned because it talked about child abuse, sibling rilvary, and death. However, on the site I found, the book seemed to depcit real life situations, if they were put in the view point of a fantasy.
(I'm sorry if this sounds quite scrambled, I'm not feeling so great...)
And here's the site.
http://www.ncte.org/about/issues/censorship/
resources/113744.htm
Just a comment, if they can ban books, why can't they ban movies? Most movies these days are so full of stuff that exceeds those of books, graphically anyways. Yet, movies are ok for people, even though they are more visual, therefore more mind-sticking, therefore they would do more damage to the mind/heart/soul/whatever so why not ban movies as well as books?
"Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret" by Judy Blume was written in the 1960's and is one of America's top 100 challenged books. This book is about a preteen girl who is going through puberty and all that it entails, but also her mother is a Christian and her father is Jewish. So it's about both her physical and spiritual journeys and growing up. It was condemned for its frank discussion of human sexuality and religion (not reconciling the two, but them being discussed seperately). It seems to me that people are more than willing to censor honest literature because they don't want to hear the truth. Because, similar to what Diana said, reality will make them have to think, but (here's a shocker) the world isn't perfect, so why would we want literature that is written for a bunch of simpletons? Honestly, if you're not mature enough to handle it, don't read it. But why punish those who could learn something from it?
I think that it is silly that alot of these books are banned... just because someone somewhere might be offended doesnt mean we have to ban it.
I picked Sex by Madonna, it was challenged because of its sexual content and offensive language.
I have to disagree with Adam. He said it was the type of book that shouldn't be read. Is it also a topic that should not be discussed as well? So, I guess we should just turn a blind eye to gays and pretend that part of the population doesn't exist.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying people SHOULD read this book, and certainly children should not. But a cognizant adult should be perfectly capable of deciding for himself what he will and will not read. Which is why we should not censor materials from the public.
Graded.
Post a Comment
<< Home