Monday, February 26, 2007

The allusions are not illusions...

As you may have already noticed in Part One, Bradbury relies heavily on the literary technique of allusion in telling his tale. An allusion is a reference within one literary work to another literary work or a famous historical or literary figure or event. Skillful authors carefully choose the people, events and texts to which they allude in order to illuminate the meanings of their own work. A good allusion brings meaning to the text.

For you more Internet savvy folks, you could think of allusions as "active hyperlinks" that you encounter when reading a website that direct you to one or more destinations. Sometimes those links offer you new information; sometimes they give you a better understanding of the website you were on initially.

As Part Two begins (and I'm sure you're done with this reading by now!), Montag is reading ("We cannot tell . . ."). Discover and identify the source of this allusion or ONE of the more than 20 other allusions Beatty uses, especially when he describes his "dream" to Montag at the firehouse. (Obviously, I only need you to do one, as long as it is NOT the same one another student identifies.) You should be able to discover the original author and the work to which Beatty (or Montag) alludes.

If by some miracle all 29 of you answer and you run out of allusions in Part Two, go to Part One and find some there OR go the Bible and find some.

Have at it!
Love,
Mrs. D

7 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed ..." (pg 69) James Boswell, Life of Dr. Johnson, 1791

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"Oh God, he only speaks of his horse." This is one of the quotes that's in Beatty's dream and it comes from Shakespeare's play, 'The Merchant of Venice.'

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First used by Alexander Pope (1688 - 1744) in An Essay on Criticism, 1709:

"A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again."

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

from pg. 106 :)

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

I had no idea there were 29 of us. Sorry it's taken me so long. I haven't been home much and when I was, SOMEone else was on the computer. So I'll get started.
So mine is from when they were burning the old lady's house down. The quote Montag read was "Time has fallen asleep in the afternoon sunshine." From what I could tell it comes from a book or essay called DREAMTHORP and was written by Alexander Smith and Hugh Walker in 1914. Since Fahrenheit 451 was first copyrighted in 1951, this seems quite logical.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

From pg. 107:

"Carcasses bleed at the sight of the murderer."
This was written by Robert Burton in his book "Anatomy of Melancholy", part I, section I, member 2, subsection 5.
Robert Burton (1577-1640) was vicar of St. Thomas's, Oxford. Today he is mostly remembered because of his above quoted treatise, which in purpose is a medical work, but its subject is expanded until it covers the whole life of man.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Graded.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home