Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Revisionist Jane Eyre

Greetings!

Today you get a chance to rewrite history--well, Jane's history, anyway. Because Jane Eyre is written in a bildungsroman style (which essentially means an adult, looking back, writes about their life), it is, quite obviously, written from a biased point of view, her own. She has many conversations and interactions with people in the book, and she shares those conversations from her perspective. But what if, say, Mr. Rochester was telling the story? How might it be different?

I'd like you to choose a passage from Jane Eyre, somewhere between Chapter 1 and Chapter 27 (Thursday's homework), and rewrite it from the other person's perspective. Mind you, you don't have total freedom with this. You must make it true to the story line. But what was Mrs. Reed really thinking when Jane blew up at her? Or what did John Reed think as he approached Jane behind the curtain? How about how Mr. Rochester might have felt when Jane treated him so terribly after they were engaged? And what did Mrs. Fairfax think of it all?

Choose a passage from the book where Jane is interacting with another character and take that character's point of view. Use good spelling, punctuation, etc. and put some thought into this.

Have some fun, but not too much!
Love,
Mrs. D

6 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I'm first!

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, just wanted to make sure of that because it's never happened before.

This is from chapter 19 before Jane comes to talk to the gypsy (Mr. Rochester) and is from Mr. Rochester's point of view:

I'm sure I had only been waiting for a few minutes for Jane to arrive, but it seemed like hours. I sat there wondering whether or not she would come; it was, after all, my intention from the beginning to see her. All the other "fortunes" I had told were meaningless; I desired to learn something of Jane's feelings towards me. At last, the door opened. It took all of my will not to look up at once from the book I had been "reading." Slowly, I met her eyes. She would not have been considered beautiful by most people, but to me, she was a priceless gem.
"Well, and you want your fortune told?" I began.

I hope that's enough Mrs. Dagen!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Professor Fletcher said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

This is from ch 13 from Adele's perspective.

I was so excited that Mr. Rochester had finally come. However, it seemed as soon as he arrived all he could do was work. Miss Jane and I were to go upstairs for my lessons and stay out of the library, but I could not study. Mr. Rochester had finally come and I only wished to see him for a little. After all, he brought me all this way from home to live with him and I had hardly seen him. Finally I asked Miss Jane if I could please go downstairs, but she still denied me the pleasure. It seems as if no one really cared about what I wanted.

I hope this is good enough.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Joey by the way

This is from chapter 2 when Jane is being taken to the "red room" and is fighting agaist Bessie
from Bessie's point of view:

I was still in shock as we druged the little brat up the stairs. She was putting up quite a fight. "Hold her amrs down, Miss Abbot: she's like a mad cat" I cried. Miss Abbot attempted to calm her, "For shame, for shame, what shocking conduct, Miss Eyre!" It did no good, she did not subside till we reached the room.

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

**I am posting as Mrs. Fairfax at the end of chapter 23 and the beginning of chapter 24

The night was so rainy that it was hard for me to see Jane and Mr. Rochester in the garden. I could heart he raised voice of the young Ms. Eyre. She sounded horribly upset but about what I can't imaine. I donot pretend to understand the customs of younger people and that of my master. But one thing I do know, whatever was going on down there was not pripriotous. After a time, the came up the front stairs at the gate drenched ffrom the rain and hand in hand. Then something happened that I did not anticipate. Mr. Rochester kissed Ms. Eyre and then parted. I just stared dumbly at her. I don't think I could conceal my judgement and dissappointment in her. She just smiled and walked past. I have never seen such an act of harlotry in my life! And to think the young thing was not even ashamed! Well, needless to say I didn't get any sleep that night considering what I had seen. Should I blame my master or Jane? After all, Jane was so young and naive about such things. And Edward Rochester has always been prone to doing such things. Although, I'm not sure what he was thinking considering he aldready had a wife. Well, the next morning I saw Jane through the window and invited her to breakdast. I tried to be civil and engaging but I could only sit silent. After all, the bible says adultresses will rot in hell and I did not want to associate with such a damned and doomed sinner. Oh well, poor girl. Maybe Mr. Rochester will die and save her from herself......
**Lol, so I took a few liberties, but i think it would be intersting to see what she thought when she found about their forbidden love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home