Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Choices...

Just so you know, I failed to have you "vote" on vocabulary homework and so will select my favorites for the running. I'll try to post them either tonight or tomorrow.

OK, I know we've had a long debate over how wonderful Jane is, and today I'd like to consider whether Jane made the right decision in leaving Thornfield and Mr. Rochester.

Her words: "Which is better? ... to be a slave in a fool's paradise at Marseilles--fevered with delusive bliss one hour--suffocating with the bitterest tears of remorse and shame the next--or to be a village schoolmistress, free and honest, in a breezy mountain nook in the healthy heart of England?"

Which to you seems better: the life Jane has chosen or the one she could have had? Explain why you feel this way (and DON'T give up the last two chapters for those who have till Monday to finish the book).

If you'd prefer, compare and contrast St. John's proposal to the proposal of Edward Rochester. Girls, do you have a preference to one or the other? Guys, how could you outdo them both?

Have a little fun!
Love,
Mrs. D

8 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okey dokey... I am going to say why I think that Jane's leaving Mr. Rochester was a good idea. First, if Jane would have stayed, she would have been breaking one of God's 10 Commandments (the one about not committing adultery). Because Jane left, she was honoring God and the plan that He had for her life, even if it seemed like a hopeless situation. You could make the point that no one really cared what Rochester and Jane did because no one really knew them, but God knew, and Jane knew that! She knew that when she sat at the judgement seat of God, that she would be guilty of committing adultery. Twist it however you want, but it's the honest to goodness truth... I was going to make another point, but I'll leave it at that. :-)

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That last little phrase there was supposed to be a smiley face...

:-)

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have to say, Will, your last point made me laugh... that's awesome! i laughed really hard after i read that, just thought i would let you(and i guess everyone else) know.

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time to play the Devil's Advocate, because that is my unoffical job.

Starving and being homeless? Or warm, luxurious living with someone you love?

Am I the only one that is not disgusted by Jane?

Honestly.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Rivvy said...

I believe Jane did not base her decision to leave Mr. Rochester on emotion. Her heart was screaming at her to stay because she loved him, but she knew that the temptation to run away with Mr. Rochester would be too great if she stayed. Thus, her decision was a rational one, based on morality and principles. And who cares if you have "warm, luxurious living" if you're living in sin? It just wouldn't have been right.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

I think just about every one has a valid point here so far. Jane should not have married Mr. Rochester because he was married already. But three attempted murders is enough to condemn anyone so Mr. Rochester could have divorced or wait until she was hung, then married Jane.
Also, though Jane does often make decisions based on emotions, I believe her decision to leave was not following her emotions by any means. She obviously had some sort of conscience because people without any moral values don't just leave the one person in life they love who actually loves them back. Sorry, doesn't happen.
Really, the whole book kinda confuses me. There's some stupid decisions and brilliant ones, but it's just anoying!

Joel, i give you props(pun intendid), but that might be somewhat illegal. It's not too romantic though. I think you could top it! :-) lol

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she made the right choice simply because God is soveriegn and uses everything for the greater good, so by doing what was right despite the pain it caused her, it made her a better person, and things will work out better in the end.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Hi! Consider this blog graded. I'm so thankful that Q went back and corrected "Hane." I was thinking underwear and was a bit concerned. Anyway, of course, Jane did the right thing and Joel is off his rocker. Even though Bertha did attempt to murder Mr. R., she would have gotten off because she was legally insane. I understand the desire to do away with her so you could have your way with your beloved, but how could you live with yourself after having done that? No, I think Jane (and Rochester) did the right thing--Rochesting doing the right thing in taking care of Bertha, NOT the right thing in lying to Jane and trying to marry her despite already being wedded. Good night!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home