Sunday, November 05, 2006

Welcome home!

Greetings!

We'll all be back into the swing of things this week, albeit somewhat reluctantly, I suppose. Although, being home, having clean showers, and nice beds might be enough to make even schoolwork appear welcome. Welcome home!

To those of you "left-behinders," I hope you enjoyed your week of slothfulness, although we did accomplish quite a bit (and had some bizarre conversations as well, some of which Wendy recorded for her class).

The assignment: Continuing with characterization. Characterization is how the author presents a character in a work of literature. You should have read and answered questions all the way through Chapter 10 by the time you arrive in class on Tuesday. That means you've been introduced to Robert Walton, Victor Frankenstein, his parents, Elizabeth Lavenza, Henry Clerval, even a couple of professors. I suppose you could try to figure out the character of the monster, but that would be rather difficult, unless you've read ahead. I'd like you to choose one of them and choose a passage from the book that "presents" the character's character, not just his or her appearance. (Also indicate "chaper and verse" -- or chapter, at least -- from which your passage comes.)You may need to explain what you see in the character through the passage and why.

I'll respond to my own blog momentarily so that you know what I'm expecting.

Love you!
Mrs. D

5 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

From the Letters:

"I shall satiate my ardent curiosity with the sight of a part of the world never before visited, and may tread a land never before imprinted by the foot of man. These are my enticements, and they are sufficient to conquer all fear of danger or death..."

This written statement by Robert Walton to his sister shows me that Robert is intensely curious, so curious that it outweighs any fear (or sense!) he may have.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

I want you to know that I actually published this blog early Saturday morning. I even went to the blog to answer it myself, as I had said, but it wouldn't publish, saying it had some error. It wasn't until Laura went to the blog to answer it this afternoon that I found out the original had disappeared! I'm thinking I may have to switch to Blog Beta, but I'm not sure what changes that would mean for us... so I'm rather hesitant to do it. I'll keep you posted!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

I am going to chose a passage that charaterizes Elizabeth. This passage is from Chapter 2 pg 22, "Elizabeth was of a calmer and more concentrated disposition, She buised herself with following the aerial creations of the poets; and in the majestic and wondrous scenes which curronded our Swiss houyse-- the sublime shapes of the mountains, the changes of the seasons, tempest and calm, and the silence of winter, and the life and turbulence of our Alpine summers--she found ample scope for admiration and delight. While (Elizabeth) contemplated with a serious and satisfied spirit in the magnificent appearances of things."



(This is really from Suzy. She, too, had difficulty blogging on Saturday, so she emailed me her post, and you just read it. I didn't change a thing.)

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

PG 20 ch. 1
"...Her hair was the brightest living gold, and despite the poverty of her clothing, seemed to set a crown of distinction on her head. Her brow was clear and ample, her blue eyes cloudless, and her lips and the moulding of her face so expressive of sensibility and sweetness that none could behold her without looking on her as of a distinct species, a being heaven-sent, and bearing a celestial stamp in all her features."
This description of Elizabeth immediately grabs your attention and sets her apart as something special. She obviously brings light into the world of whoever she's around.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Graded.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home