Wednesday, November 15, 2006

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

If you've been noticing, we've skipped Thanksgiving AGAIN and have quickly moved into Christmas, as least as far as store decor and sales go! I find myself thankful that we'll get a break from school (yes, teachers feel that way too), but I do NOT look forward to cooking a turkey (hated task for me), do NOT bake pies well (though I like other baking), and hate putting away leftovers, which my family seems to hate, anyway. So why bother with all this? All that to say, I don't really have the holiday spirit. Instead, I'm thinking: cooking all day Thursday, cleaning up all night Thursday, early morning shopping Friday, Christmas lights and decor on Saturday... and so on!

So I'd like to know what gets you into the holiday spirit. What gets you cranked about the holidays (be it Thanksgiving or Christmas)? I know my view is a bit jaded and incorrect, and I'd like some inspiration here. So share your inspiration or your favorite thing about the holidays. Or share your favorite memory.

Have a grand day!
Love,
Mrs. D

6 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

Well Mrs. D. I can say the one thing I hate about Christmas and Thanksgiving is the clean-up. I'm the guy who gets to throw away the turkey carcus(however you spell that) and gets to wash the pan...it stinks...literally. :) But I must say, I love the decorating part of Christmas. I'm big into design and apperances of homes, so seeing my work afterwards is always rewarding.

As far as holiday spirit goes, it's so easy to get wrapped up in the holiday part of the holiday instead of the purpose of the holiday. We get so "wrapped" up in buying gifts and preparing meals and planning trips, that we often forget why we even have these two holidays. Thanksgiving has become an excuse to embrace gluttony and Christmas an excuse to spend money and get stuff. However, the origins of these two holidays go so much deeper. Thanksgiving was started by the pilgrims who gave thanks to God for allowing them to make it through the winter and providing them with plenty of food and resources. It's suppose to remind us to thank God in all we do... which we should be doing every day, not just one day in November every year. Christmas, on the other hand, celebrates God's gift of Jesus Christ to humanity to save us from our sinful fate. Now-a-days we've forgotten about the Jesus part of it, but kept the gift. We can't even say Marry Christmas without getting weird looks anymore because we need to "tolerate" those who don't celebrate it.

Basically, our society has forgotten the importance of the holidays and kept the rituals and traditions...only to an extent. So I think the best way to really get in the holiday spirit is not to let yourselves get consumed by the hustle and bustle of the world and pause a moment, or two, to thank God and praise Him for what he's done. If we focused on pouring out what He's given us instead of thinking "Me, Me, Me", we could see how much more fulfilling serving Jesus and others can be.

Sorry, I didn't mean to preach, but I really liked it and thought it was good. I hope I have been of some service! :)

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger King of the World is my King said...

I really love the Holiday time. I can't really explain why. I think it's because it's a time for personal reflection for me. I love the time off. I love spending time with family. I like the whole thing. It's just that, in this life of uncertainty, it gives me some stability. Christmas is always Christmas, and Thanksgiving is always Thanksgiving despite anything and everything I am going through. it gives me a sense of clarity and hope. That's why I love this time of year. The hope it brings to everyone, and the joy, the familiarity. It just feels like home, which isn't a feeling I have very often.
Always and God bless,
Jeff Jones

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas is a chance for relentless repetitive songs, spending a extremely unreasonable amount of money, and eating the same amount of food as an entire African village.

It is also a time for cold weather, warm fuzzy feelings, and more relentlessly repetitive songs.

Before you slam me for being a Scrooge, I must say that Christmas is my favorite holiday, despite the morass of blatant commericalism that sends me running for the nearest lavatory. It allows is a chance to celebrate the arrival of our blessed Saviour into the dark, cold waste bin of the world, to shine a penetrating light into its vast interiors.

Getting school off is nice, too :)

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and by the way, I agree with Diana on winter being the most romantic of the seasons.

Yes, I actually said that :-P

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am super late, but that's okay! I love Christmas and Thanksgiving, and a whole lot of things get me in the "holiday spirit." Cold weather, hot chocolate, fires (in fireplaces, of course), turkey, pie, sweet potato casserole, the smell of christmas trees, lights, venturing into our dark, dusty attic, listening to Christmas music, eggnog, and going shopping on the day after Thanksgiving all remind me of Christmas. I love wearing layers of clothes and being able to see my breath, and I'm praying that maybe THIS year it will snow!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

By the way, this is Rebekah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home