Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The winner is...




Actually, Tanner's artwork and creative sounds-like sentence for "assonance" came in a close second to Jon's artwork for "metonymy." However, it was such a loved and applauded work that my students felt it should receive kudos despite being outvoted. Jon's artwork, of course, was simply amazing.

We're going to make some changes in the future regarding how and when we vote. Because one class chose four, one chose three, and the other chose two vocabulary art pieces as finalists, some of the votes were "wasted" and a run-off should occur. Next time we'll do something similar to our voting on Wednesday to narrow down the competition, then you all can campaign for your favorite until Friday. I'll put the voting space right on the vocabulary quiz, and the final vote can happen through the quiz.

What we're looking for is more than great artwork, because clearly some of you are more talented in that area than others. We also need "stick-with-us" sorts of sounds-like sentences (Patrick's pair a' lipses and Ellie's Bang! Bang! "See ya!" come to mind. And, actually, Ellie's is just about perfect: It has a great sounds-like word, a picture that truly illustrates the sentence, and a sounds-like sentence that is not only catchy but also demonstrates an onomatopoeia) A great literary quote is good as is the presentation. I'm sure you all have noticed that clip art and random photos or even artwork for which you've matched a sentence don't do much for us. We want short snappy, memorable sentences that really do have a sounds-like word and make sense without a total stretching of our imaginations.

Go for the gold (or the dollar)!

Love,
Mrs. D

3 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Actually, Patrick's is also about perfect (although I think I blocked it from my mind because of his character with the rather large lips, even if he does look like my nephew). His sentence, "I won't even mention his big, fat, ugly pair of lipses..." which IS a paralipsis. So there! Good job! Several of you did a wonderful job, and the next list of words using literary terms/literary techniques is created with some extra examples to make it all a bit clearer in our minds. The quiz on Friday, by the way, is more difficult because you will need to be able to recognize what type of literary term it is by the example given. So study to show thyself approved!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

Nice use of commas Mrs. D! I'm impressed... not really. Your my English teacher so I guess you kinda have to know that stuff. lol. Thank you though for acknowledging my sentence. I though I was "Like so totally AWSOME-ah!" (Gay inflection in the voice there) :) So yeah. I'll see ya'll at school. I love fall break! I wish public schools did that.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

Oh yeah. Congrats guys! I'm so proud of you both! :')...that's supposed to be a tear of joy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home