Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Mary, Mary, quite contrary...

Hi!

If you've done your homework this week, you know the story of Mary Shelley, the author of Frankenstein, and it wasn't a life of joy. So, as you may have guessed, what I'd like you to address in this post are the details of her life, many of which are present within the Preface and Introduction to the book.

I do find one discrepancy, perhaps there are more. It says on the first page of the book that "Harriet Shelley--Percy's wife--drowned herself and her unborn child after he ran off with Mary." But in the Introduction, on p. viii in my version, the paragraph beginning "Mary's first child by Shelley..." says, essentially, that "By the second anniversary of (Mary's) alliance with Shelley she had been pregnant most of the time and given birth twice. In October, while she was writing the early parts of her novel, her half-sister, Fanny Imlay, committed suicide, and in December Shelley's wife drowned herself in the Serpentine." Now if Shelley's wife was pregnant at that time by her husband, that was a LONG pregnancy (poor thing! no wonder she killed herself!) OR she was not pregnant OR she was involved with someone then (perhaps Percy again?). What is the truth?

Is there anything else that does not agree?

Anyway, I like a good mystery -- solved. So if someone wants to figure out the truth about Mrs. Shelley (not Mary), I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, tell us some facts about Mary Shelley, making sure you don't repeat a fact given by a classmate.

That's all, folks!
Love,
Mrs. D

4 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

Mary and Percy Shelley eloped to France on July 28, 1814. When they returned, both sides of parents were furious and cut down their allowances until the creditors were practically knocking down their door. Mary had four kids. Three of them died between the years of 1815 and 1819. I guess all tragedy in her life never stopped. Of course, you reap what you sew and she sewed some not-so-great stuff.

I got my stuff form:
http://www.bibliomania.com

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Interesting comments and spellings and great introduction to homonyms! I learned a lot about Mary Shelley.

Consider this graded.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

SO in class today I realized that Mary Shelley's generation pretty much introduced every thing that has our culture in such a fix, as far as science goes, into the world. All this stuff about the evolutionary process of man becoming man from a fish and all that nonsense. It's kind of a bummer. In fact, if it weren't for the medical advances they made... on accident... then I would almost, how do I say this, very much dislike her generation.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Good job by all!

Graded!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home