Friday, October 27, 2006

It's all history...

Hi!

Mary Shelley's most famous work, Frankenstein, was published in 1818, a time of discovery. Britain and Europe were in the midst of colonial expansion, finding peoples, cultures, and creatures formerly unimaginable. They were also bumping into whole new continents, new hemispheres, new landscapes, as well as the cultures and religions that seemed so bizarre. Erasmus Darwin (Charles' grandfather) was also beginning to wonder about the progression of life, and this age was the beginning of the scientific method. Men were daring to push beyond what they had commonly observed and begun experimenting, even doing autopsies and vivisection. Luigi Galvani applied electricity to dead frog legs and caused them to move, leading him to believe that electricity was the essence of life. Could man create or restore life?

Into this world of discovery was birthed Frankenstein, or perhaps because of this world of discovery Frankenstein came into being. In addition to the scientific culture, artistic and intellectual movements were also undergoing change. Classicism and Rationalism emphasized science, technology, and discovery as a means to benefit society as a whole rather than individuals. Also, the Romantic Movement and Gothic Literature were growing in popularity. The political climate was also undergoing change in the form of revolutions.

Today's blog gives you the chance to peek back into history around the time of Shelley's writing of Frankenstein and tell us all some of the changes or popular thoughts that might have affected her worldview and purpose in writing. As usual, make sure you do not mimic someone else's post.

Have at it!
Love,
Mrs. D

3 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Just so you know... the blog seems to be having difficulty this morning. I've scanned the vocabulary finalists (Joel's allegory, Stephanie's wont, and Adam's troth), but I keep getting an error about the archives. I'll keep trying!

I'll also be trying to publish a post so that we can all be aware of how the soccer and volleyball teams are doing at the national tournament next week. If they have Internet access, they can update the blog, or if they call any of us, we can update the blog so that we're all in the "know."

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

So I found this cool site with random little dates in history from 1818. It was cool. I found some things that might have a decent affect on the U.S. citizens at that time. First... literely, on the 1st of January, 1818,(like my use of commas) the white house officially reopened. Then,on October 19, the U.S. signed a treaty with the Chicasaw Indians and the U.S. and Britain agreed to joint control over the Oregon country. So I thought those were some cool little facts. I don't know how much they affected our dear Mary Shelley.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Good job, Tanner! You had the right idea. The rest of you, well, thanks for playing!

Graded.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home