A change of pace...
Hello!
I'd like to stray from the same-old, same-old posts this time. I found today quite interesting in the student response to tying in Scripture to Shakespeare. Within the three class periods, the attitude ranged from "Oh, brother, I hate it when people try to symbolize everything they read in literature" to "Wow! Didn't Beatrice even refer to Hero as a lamb?" (connecting the dots in the Hero as a Christ figure).
I find myself in both camps, actually. I don't like it when things are stretched beyond all shades of the original meaning just to get some spiritual emphasis out of a reading, but I get incredibly excited when a spiritual truth just sort of pops out and makes reading not just an exercise in English but an exercise in spiritual growth. Frankly, I can use all the spiritual growth I can get.
This Scripture, Ephesians 4:29, in on my mind: "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear."
My heart actually feels heavy as I write this, because I think back on most of our classes and see so much joviality and, indeed, foolishness, and I think sometimes that we are not making the best use of our classroom. Sometimes we're not being silly; that's when we're venting! (OK, I know we also have our finer moments, too.) Now, you know quite well that I love to laugh and enjoy enjoying each other (what sort of literary technique was that?), but I think we also need to spend some time building one another up in the Lord.
I'd like this post to accomplish two things: Get our focus on the Lord, and encourage each other with specifics.
So, could you accomplish this by, perhaps, sharing either a Scripture verse that's on your heart or your favorite verse?
In addition, I know we all like praise. Could you also think of something you appreciate about another student in the class that would build him or her up? Seniors, you may remember last year that we spent one of our final blogs remembering and appreciating our seniors. I'd like to do something similar here. It could be as simple as complimenting someone's acting ability, since we've been demonstrating much talent in class of late. Or maybe you appreciate someone's joyfulness, or faithfulness, or help -- or something! Think of someone you might not normally go out of your way to compliment. Or think of your best friend whom you often forget to praise.
Let's build up those in our classroom with Scripture and with our words!
Love you!
Mrs. Dagen
6 Comments:
Hi!
I thought I'd share some of my favorite Scriptures:
When dealing with my husband, my favorite Scripture verse comes from Genesis 21:12b: "Whatever Sarah tells you, listen to her."
When dealing with my children, my favorite Scripture verse is from Exodus 20:12: "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving to you." (The implication is that the reverse could be true, you know, "fail to honor your mother and your days won't be long...")
When dealing with my students, I say Romans 13:3: "For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and (she) will commend you." So, do right! (And do your homework!)
When dealing with myself when I've been bad, my favorite Scripture is Romans 8:38-39: "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, not things present, not things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, not any other created thing (INCLUDING ME), shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
It is nice to know that the love of God is outside my control. He just loves me no matter what. (And that makes me love Him -- just as Beatrice and Benedick fell in love because they believed the other loved them!... Had to get in my English tidbit.)
Love you!
Love them all so far! You guys are doing a great job!
You know that I love you all, but I think I will come to this post a time or two or three or whenever I think of it and mention a few people that come to mind.
For instance, Marissa. She is just a bundle of joy. I love her smile, and she gives great hugs, too. She encourages me -- and I do sometimes get discouraged, to be sure. I love how hard she works -- at everything, apparently -- and yet she doesn't act overwhelmed or burdened. She just seems joyful.
Joel is a hoot. In fact, I am laughing at this moment just thinking of Joel splashing his way quite frantically through those English accents in Much Ado. He cracks me up. I wish he would HUSH up at times, but I do enjoy him.
Jared has THE voice. I hope that he is the voice of the Cougars again during basketball season, because he has such a great DJ-way about him. He also reads the scripts quite well in Much Ado, and it is a pleasure to assign him parts.
Speaking of parts, I was really impressed by Will's portrayal of various people in Much Ado. He does a great accent, reads smoothly and with feeling. Good job!
And Diana, who always seems to hide behind her book or look away when I'm assigning parts... That girl can act! Somebody sign her up for drama, quick!
Stephanie Gray, of course, is the supreme actress. She reads English as if it were her native language -- well, you know what I mean! She reads through Much Ado so smoothly, and I still crack up when I think of her doing her oral interpretation with Jeff at the debate tournament. In fact, Adam and I (my Adam, not McKinney) quote that little drama together sometimes.
And that Laura person. I really like her, too, and not just because she has those beautiful eyes and hair color that make me green with envy. She is Miss Diligent and Miss Efficient and she can be sweet (but I hate her sighs). I'm so thankful that God gave me a daughter, especially her!
OK. More later, when I remember! Write on, folks!
Oh, soccer players in fifth period... I just got word from the office that you all MAY be leaving as early as NOON Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday (depending on the game time). If so, I will need to have you all take the test during first period or when you have a free period or at my house on Monday or something! Ugh.
My Gosh! There's some great stuff in here! I think we've got a few future evangelists in here. So yeah. I've had a lot of stuff on my heart lately, but unfortunately I don't have my journal or Bible on me (I'm not at home). So I have a verse I'd like to share with ya'll.
Proverbs 4:23 says "Above all else guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." It never ceases to amaze me how everything I read in the Bible always affects me at that time in my life. I've been seeing lately just how true this verse is. Since I go to 3 different schools I'm around a lot of different people and it's easy to see what people are allowing into their hearts. I heard an analogy that the heart is like a sponge. It absorbs what you allow into it, and when the pressure is put on and it gets squeezed, all that stuff is gonna come out. If you're allowing dirt and junk, than dirty, junky water will come out. If you're allowing clean water or good influences and lots of spiritual build up, than guess what's gonna come out, all that good. So Satan won't have any foot hold on you. Also, if those unsaved people around you see that you handle those tough situations with love and goodness, then they're gonna start wondering about that God of yours.
So I know I've written a lot, but I'd just like to encourage two specific people, even though everyone is really helpful. First Joel Zerr. You are such a blessing to me. There have been so many times that I've been having a rough day and you really lift me up. Usually it's just making me laugh and let out some emotion that I've been needing to let out(unfortunately I've had to let out some pretty dirty water). Also, you really initiated my being accepted into Cornerstone... if you get what I'm saying. You got me involved more than I would have. So thank you. I really appreciate you. Secondly, I'd like to thank Mike Gibby! You're an awesome person who is constantly being used by God. I love seeing someone with loads of humor along with extreme dedication. Whatever you put your mind to, you do incredibly well. You also are so passionate about following God with all your heart, and that helps me to push on. SO thank you both for all you've done. And everyone else, you're all great!
Oh yeah, Andrew and Barn and Dalton and Jared too. You guys make coming to school really fun and worth it too... besides the fact that I'm learning stuff too, of course.
Wow. I am so touched by all the love just flowing through your words (yes, even through the misspellings!). You are an excellent group of students and I am so blessed to be able to teach in a school where we CAN discuss Scripture and build one another up in the Lord.
Keep on posting here... I'm not grading this one yet!
I think it's great that you are noticing these good things in one another. Sometimes we have all the more noticeable gifts and talents getting all the attention, but there are some quiet ones among you that are gems (a bit of commercial love?). I'm glad you've noticed those things.
Do you have any idea how blessed you all are to have this community we call Cornerstone? You are schooling among people many of you have known almost all your lives. These are people you have relationship with, real relationships -- plus you have the connection of Christ to bring you even closer.
Keep writing!
Graded.
Post a Comment
<< Home