Saturday, September 09, 2006

Playing Favorites

Heigh ho! (As Oedipus would say...)

Who is your favorite character within Oedipus Rex and why?

That's the short version of my question today. You're about to embark on a week of character analysis essay writing, and I thought we'd help each other a bit by expressing our views about some of the characters.

The question you might prefer to answer may be along these lines:
* Which is the character you love to hate?
* For which character do you have the least respect?
* To which character do you most relate?
* Which character is most important for moving along the play's action?
* Which character offers the most "color" or drama to the play?
* Which minor character plays the most significant role?
* Which character seems most changed by the circumstances of the play?
* Which character seems impervious to the circumstances of the play?
* Which character is most honest? Least honest?
* Which character demonstrates the most godly (or godsly?) character? The least?

In other words, take a step toward character analysis today and begin thinking in depth about a specific character in Oedipus. You are not limited to these quesions, and you may respond to a question someone else has answered. You just can't answer the same way! You may very well have the opposite view. Remember to read your fellow students' posts -- so you don't reiterate their statements and so you can get their perspectives. It should be enlightening!

Have a joyful day!
Love,
Mrs. D

4 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

You guys crack me up! I love your comments and am glad that you all don't agree with one another (and glad that you are answering a variety of questions). I disagree with Jeff in that the characters are shallow. I think they're quite deep and in over their heads! I think Oedipus is quite the innocent, seeming to have good intentions, but he bungles the whole thing. (Of course, those murders on the road sort of mess up the good-boy image.) Now Jocasta and Laius... definitely another story.

Anyway, this is NOT graded yet, have no fear (since it's only Monday at 8 a.m. and I would be confused or off my rocker and face the wrath of three classes of students...) Just wanted to add my threepence.

Continue having fun!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

I find it odd that nobody has bothered to say anything about Oedipus. So I think I shall analyze(that word has my vocab word in it) him. After all, he is the character for whom I have the least respect. Not only is he the biggest snob I have every met...not really... I have every heard of, he is completely oblivious to all that surounds him. You think he'd be able to fit the pieces together, even if they are small pieces, he wouldn't have to use his "big feet" to put them together. His pride completely blinds him. Everybody hates someone who is always talking about themselves and what they've accmoplished and bragging constantly and who, quite frankly, has a lot of confidence in themselves when there's not that much to be confident about.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

Never mind. I wasn't the first commenter on Oedipus. Gosh! My comp hadn't loaded those comments yet!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Consider this graded. Good answers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home