Great Beginnings
Good day!
Today I want you take one of the following scenarios and construct the most creative three-point thesis statement you can and post it right here. I also want you to look at others' attempts and see if you can advise them to make them a bit more creative or more accurate, clearer, better, etc. (See how I used the comma before etc.?)
Remember that a GOOD thesis statement will come at the end of your introductory paragraph (and be ONE sentence). (Of course, you won't be constructing the entire paragraph, so we're going to assume this is your last sentence.)
It will also state the primary purpose of the essay, giving a brief overview of the major ideas (usually three) that the essay will present. The order of those three topics should be the order reflected in your three body paragraphs (eventually, not here and not today). All three of the items should be "parallel" (all nouns, all similar types of phrases, all gerunds, and so on and so forth).
Here are some scenarios I want you to use to form a thesis statement. Choose one. Be sure your thesis statement does not match another student's statement word-for-word (clearly, some will be similar). Be creative, catchy, effective, eloquent. Perhaps you can even be alliterative!
* Success is the subject. You need to explain what success is by giving standard book definitions, explaining the difference between success and closely related words, examining some commonly associated ideas and feelings, and reciting an example of success.
* Cars is another subject. You will deal with two cars of your choice. You will compare them regarding the appearance, the gas mileage they get, and the general price range, and you will make a judgment regarding which is the best buy in your opinion.
* Pets is another subject. You will compare three different types of animals kept as pets (your choice) and decide which is the best.
* Books are your favorite subject, of course! You will compare any two of your choice; discuss the plot, the handling of the main character, and the theme of the books.
* Explain the meaning of faith by using the following: a good example, dictionary definitions of the word and its synomyns, and opposite terms and what they mean.
* Explain the exegesis of a verse of Scripture; review the various steps including writing a synthesis, explaining hard words, and thoroughly reading the verse.
* Discuss the relative qualities of Wheaties, Cheerios, and Grape-Nuts. Make a recommendation for purchase.
* Illustrate what a true Christian is really like by giving examples, citing various verses, and describing typical Christian actions.
* Discuss the proper method of studying for one of Mrs. D's tests; discuss reading with a purpose (answering questions), recognizing themes and symbols, and reviewing notes, etc.
Let me reiterate! You are NOT writing the entire paper (now; you might be later). You are simply writing a one-sentence thesis statement that is CREATIVE, contains three points, and all the wonderful tips stated above.
Have a little fun!
Mrs. D
4 Comments:
OK, I really am looking for one sentence from each of you, truly. While q's is not the most creative and a little Shurley-grammarish (i.e. My three favorite colors are...), Marissa's is not correct, at least as far as I am reading it. I really just want one sentence.
If I were comparing computers, for example, I might write a thesis sentence that looks like this:
"All it takes is a thorough study of the total sales figures, the initial cost of equipment, and the available software for Macintosh and PC computers to determine which is the better choice."
Does that give you a better idea as to what I'm seeking from you?
And, q, yes.
Sorry about the late post. I got on at 11:00 this morning, not even joking and I didn't see it. I think I got confused on where the date was. But neways. ************************** Did you get that message? Man these are some boring topic sentences, but I can't talk because mine probably isn't much better.
*** The new Ford Mustang GT is deffinately the "go-get-er" type and trounces the Mitsubishi Eclipse with its looks, speed, and the beautiful sound of its engine.
John I just wanted to say, your topic sentence is AWSOME!!!!!
And "Red Dwarf", my friend. I did not post about cereal. I love cereal, but when there is an opportunity for cars, I take that. MMM YEZZ. :)
Well, all I can say is this: I sure hope you all spell a bit better when you put this thesis statement into your paper. Shame on you! And if you're using proper nouns (i.e. brand names), you need to capitalize them. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to actually grading the real papers.
Graded.
Post a Comment
<< Home