Saturday, August 26, 2006

Testing 1 2 3

I know we all like a good test now and again. When I'm facing life's tests, I often wish I either had a study guide or was able to write my own questions. I suppose the answer key to life's questions is God's Word, of course, but I still make mistakes.

But not you! You, my dears, are facing your first "real" test in AP English. I know you had that delightful essay exam over To Kill a Mockingbird, but it was neither written in my typical fashion nor graded in my usual, cruel (make that "fair" and "just") manner. Welcome to Mrs. D's reality!

My tests will consist of four sections this year: fill in the blank (with a word box provided), multiple choice (with four options to choose), essay (to answer with 2-4 complete, grammatically correct sentences), and (drum roll, please) an analysis section over a passage from literature or a poem (also multiple choice), which will be similar to what you will face on an AP exam.

But all is not lost! You, my dear students, have the opportunity to actually help write some of these questions. Today, within this very blog, you get to offer two test questions (you may choose fill in the blank, multiple choice, or essay) AND you get to write the answer key.

The questions should cover ONLY biographical information on Sophocles and his culture/time period, Oedipus Rex through Scene 2, AND the literary terms we have covered in our short study of Shakespeare's sonnets. You have, of course, the study questions I've provided, the blogs you have all answered (regarding Sophocles, Greek theater, and the culture of Oedipus Rex), and our class discussions from which to pull your questions. Make sure they are correct AND that you provide the answers. And, as usual, do NOT cover the same topic a classmate has covered. (For example, if a student covers the costuming in Greek theater in a multiple choice question, do NOT write an essay question covering the same material.)

And if you MUST add humor to your blog, please make that an ADDITIONAL question. The better your questions, the more likely I am to use them. The more likely I am to use them, the more prepared you are (assuming you study through the blog as well as your other sources).

Happy questioning!

Love,
Mrs. D

3 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is Oedipus' main character flaw?

a)ais temper
b)his dashing good looks
c)his arrogance
d)his insanity

The answer is, of course, onions... no no I mean a. Atleast, thats my opinion.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

Dad gum! I need to start checkin in earlier.

1.) What is Oedipus' attitude towards the gods.

Although Oedipus respects the gods to a degree, it appears as he sees himself as just as wise, if not wiser than the gods and just as capable.

2.) Many people try to accuse Shakespear of being gay because a good deal of his sonnets were to a fellow man. This is an example of what?

****Intentional fallacy****

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Good job, for the most part. Consider this graded.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home