Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Terms of Endearment

Greetings!

Today, take a brief retreat from Oedipus and all things testable and enjoy the peacefulness of a good literary term. You have so many from which to choose!

Simply do this. Find a literary term, define it, and give an example of it in literature. I suspect you could Google "literary term" and go from there.

As usual, don't use something your classmate has already covered! You know the drill.

See you on Test Day!
Love,
Mrs. D

3 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

Hello there! I'm not the last one this time! Yay! My term is verisimilitude. Pronounced, \ver-uh-suh-MIL-uh-tood; -tyood\

Verisimilitude- noun: The appearance of truth; the quality of seeming to be true. Also, something that has the appearance of being true or real.

"...The old man's massive forehead, penetrating eyes and enormous beard lent verisimilitude to this unappealing portrait."

"Charm itself," Economist, October 16, 1999

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In ekphrasis, or ekphrastic art, there are initially two imaginations at work—that of the original artist, and that of the respondent through his/her medium.
Here are some examples...

The critic
resolves her sonnets
into empty feet.

The boss
rejects proposals
he has barely skimmed.

The husband
compares her pilaf
to swill for hogs.

The gas
she hopes will kill her
leaks away.

The analyst
unpeels her
till she disappears.

Poem by Catherine A. Callaghan

God arrives head first
between the legs of the crescent moon and Venus
trailing a sailor’s sunset

But he is not Father
he is
the infant you are at 50
in a boat on Lake Superior
just when you thought
you’d seen everything.

Poem by Jennifer Bosveld

And that is that. I think I have inadvertantly discovered my new favorite form of poetry. I got these wonderful art forms from http://www.puddinghouse.com/ekphrastic.htm

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Consider this graded.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home