Wednesday, August 16, 2006

So It's Ancient History

Welcome to Greece and the ancient works of Sophocles! I won't give any information away, because not too much is available -- and you're required to come up with the facts to share with your classmates. Yours must be one that no one else has covered, and please (this time) really do offer one good fact, perhaps with a little embellishment. But leave some points for the others.

Essentially, tell me about Sophocles, his writings, and theater in ancient Greece. We all want the scoop, and we do like some of those off-the-wall facts that stick (but they must be true). (Don't give any specifics on the Oedipus Rex story line.) Don't forget to check back before class on Friday so that we can discuss what's been written together.

Count it all joy!
Love,
Mrs. D

4 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear... Just ONE fact, please, with perhaps slight embellishments.

An untrue example: Sophocles had five children (FACT), four boys and one girl. One of his sons was born with a club foot and ostracized from society because of it. (EMBELLISHMENTS). Again, none of that is true to my knowledge.

Do you get the idea?

And no nudity, please, unless you give the context -- in this case "WHY?"... Was it normal back then to lead such choruses, etc.?

Keep it clean and keep it to one fact.

Love you!
Mrs. D

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

Sorry It's taken me so long to comment. I just got home from marching band practice, and I haven't been home since 7 this morning. But oh well.
I know some of this had been said. But I'm going to build of it and say some unknown stuff. So Sophocles was born in 495 B.C. in a village near Athens called Colonus. His father Sophilus was "a man of wealth and excellent reputation." Sophilus provided careful instruction for Sophocles to excell in the arts of Music and poetry. He also took part in the excersises of palæstra. The palæstra was an ancient Greek wrestling school that practiced boxing and wrestling.

I found my stuff at http://www.theatrehistory.com/ancient/sophocles

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok so its long... but this is still one fact :)

Only seven of his tragedies have survived complete in the medieval manuscript tradition. The most famous are the three tragedies concerning Oedipus and Antigone: these are often known as the Theban plays or The Oedipus Cycle, although they do not make up a single trilogy. Discoveries of papyri from the late nineteenth century onwards, especially at Oxyrhynchus, have greatly added to our knowledge of Sophocles' works. The most substantial fragment which has so far appeared contains around half of a satyr play, The Tracking Satyrs.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

OK. This is graded. Good job, folks! So you know: If you post before 3 p.m. the day of the blog (i.e. Monday or Thursday, even though I usually post my assignment before then), you get 105 percent. If you post after 3 p.m. but on the same day, you get 100 percent. If you post late, I start deducting points. You can post until you see my "this is graded" comment. Then know that I'm not adding any grades to my gradebook. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home