Saturday, August 12, 2006

Not to Overkill a Mockingbird

Happy weekend (or Monday)!

I have enjoyed our first week of school and look forward to the next 35! (Is that just 33 for you seniors?) Wow. We're almost done.

Today I'd like you to think just a little bit longer about To Kill a Mockingbird. I like a book that makes me think and unveils more each time I read it. I think this one is one of those, and I hope you think so too. On this blog, I'd like you to write about one of these topics:

1. Which character did you like the best and why?
2. Which character did you like the least and why?
3. To which character did you relate the most?
4. Did you feel the story was an accurate reflection of the time period?
5. Did you feel the story was an accurate reflection of the issues?
6. Did you agree with the author's stance that Boo should be protected rather than held accountable for the death of Ewell?
7. Did you feel other "mockingbirds" besides Tom Robinson and Boo Radley were evident in the story?
8. Comment on the Radleys and their care of their son (and brother).
9. Were any of the social ills presented in the book still present in our society?
10. Discuss the Dewey Decimal system approach to education and why it was such a problem for Scout.

I could go on and on. The book comments on many issues. Remember, I am looking for a discussion of these topics, not a "yes" or "no" answer. Support what you write with evidence from the book or society, where appropriate. Obviously, more than one person will have to comment on each question as I only wrote 10, but make sure your examples are different from those of your classmate. You may disagree (politely) with another student and support that answer.

Have fun!
Love,
Mrs. D

5 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger Patrick12 said...

So I'm not completely through the book yet, but so far I really like the book. I think I'll answer number 10. Now last I checked, the Dewy Decimal System is a library system. But in this I think they're refering to a guy name John Dewy who is trying to teach Americans to be rule-followers instead of being so independent. This is just one aspect of the approach to learning, but I think it was one of the biggest problems for Scout. Even though Atticus was an incredible gentleman, he never really enforced rules on his kids. So Scout had a hard time with that.
That's what I can tell from what I've read so far. It's a pretty good book though.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Good job, you all, except for the spelling! Guess we'll have something extra to work on in class.... We are still missing four students entirely and just one registered person's response today. I'm trying to be gracious until I know you all have this mastered. Those of you who wrote before this moment, I've penciled in a "105" for you. You others? Well, we'll see how long it takes you!

Does it bother anyone that a mockingbird is a bird that cleverly imitates other birds' songs? I know the book clearly calls killing one a sin because all they do is sing beautiful music, but I wonder if that "imitating others" part of it plays a role anywhere in this book. Any thoughts?

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry that I didn't post earlier Mrs. D, but seeing as my computer in currently in a state of very limited functionality(and by that I mean, it turns on, and that's pretty much it). And to all the rest of you... You are juniors and seniors, learn how to spell!

I have chosen to tackle question 1....

1. Which character did you like the best and why?

I'm going to go against the grain here, and pick Calpurnia. Calpurnia is exactly the type of person I would love to know. She is hard-working, well educated(which was a rarity for black people in those days... and still much rarer than it should be even today!) and does not look down on people based on how they act, or think, or even how they decided to eat their meat and potatos:) She is a genuine personality in a book that has plenty of shallow characters... and I do not mean shallow as in two-dimensianal, I merely mean they are superficial(I am primarily referring to the snooty, gossip-full "church ladies" that Miss Maudie meets with.) Well, thats my two cents......

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Thanks for the spelling support, Mr. Jake. Some of these misspellings ARE a a bit disconcerting, to be sure.

Anyone out there know the status on Gibby, the ice cream woman, or the girl who's all heart?

If so, email or call them and get them on track.

Thanks!
Mrs. D

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Sister Sara said...

Still no Gibby? OK. I did my final grade. (I was being nice since we had newbies. No more Mrs. Nice Girl.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home